Saturday 2 November 2013

Updates

Last week I walked into my classroom at Injabulo and all my Lizards took me over to the back of the classroom saying 'Teacher! Teacher!' and pointing to something and there was a Scorpion! I've never seen a Scorpion before in my life and I've only heard stories. I didn't really know what to do so I told the children to sit on the carpet which was away from it and went to get Nelsiwe, one of the Siswati teachers. She got the scorpion out no problem haha. The children love playing with your hair and I let them because it's actually really nice when they do. It can sometimes get out of hand though...
          
Before
After
 This happens at both Injabulo and Moriah Centre haha. The kids at Moriah Centre live locally so sometimes when we go to the supermarket you can just here 'Aunty Clare! Aunty Clare!' And then see kids running up to you and hugging you. It is the cutest thing and you can't stop smiling whenever you think about it.

Lat week we celebrated 2 of the teachers at Moriah Centre's birthdays. We brought a cake since we had no time whatsoever to make one and told them to close their eyes while we brought them into one of the classrooms. Then got as many of the other teachers as we could find to come in as well and then told them to open their eyes. They were so surprised and looked so happy. We had a lot of fun and laughs while eating the cake it was such a happy moment.


Birthday Girls: Aunty Mary and Aunty Agnus


We decided that last weekend would be a quiet one but it was far from it! Friday night we ended up pushing a car for which I swear was more than 10km because it wouldn't start haha. Then Saturday we headed up to a place called Malkerns which is in the high veld for a 'beer festival' and typical me I was again unprepared for the weather thinking it would be warm and sunny when in actual fact was heavy rain and thunder and lightning. At one point we were sitting under one of those canopy tent things and then all of a sudden there was a huge crash of thunder and lightning at the same time. I still had adrenalin pumping through me like ten minutes later, I got such a fright! Then that night we ended up staying the night in hospital because our friend had broken  his leg really badly! It was a nightmare I felt so sorry for him, he was in so much pain. The next day he had to go to South Africa to get an operation but one of his friends went with him so we went back to sweet home Big Bend. We ended up sleeping all afternoon because we were so tired.

At the moment we are trying to organise the children's graduation for the end of November but we have so much to do so it's quite stressful. We need to find some sponsors so hopefully we haven't left it too late. Moriah Centre is definitely more organised than Injabulo haha. I want to start a swimming club or carry on with the football team which one of the previous volunteers started but it is really difficult at the moment because we have no transport to pick up the children so I need to figure something out. Anyway until next time. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you not been given the kombi to get to Moriah Centre? You must make sure that they give it to you.... xxx

    ReplyDelete