Saturday 2 November 2013

Swaziland

I thought since I haven't talked much about Swaziland and where I'm staying I'll take this chance to do that. Swaziland is split up into three sections: the high veld, the mid veld and the low veld. Big Bend (where I live) is in the low veld where it reaches the hottest temperatures. Big Bend is famous for it's sugar plantations as they are literally everywhere! Whenever we come back from somewhere outside Big Bend the first thing we always notice is the sweet smell of sugar cane and I swear there is nothing nicer. In the mid veld there is the city of Manzini and consists of cooler temperatures and then in the high veld there is the capital city Mbabane. We were told here it can even sometimes get up to 10 degrees lower than the temperature in Big Bend. So we like to travel up north sometimes at the weekend if the heat is unbearable. There are a row of mountains called the Lubombo Mountains which act as a barrier between Swaziland and Mozambique and are very impressive. We are now getting into Summer which means a lot of rain and big thunder storms but with very hot, humid weather. It often gets up to around 40 degrees but I am getting used to it... sort of. The thunder and lightning storms are so cool. I took this picture of lightning when it was pitch black outside so you can see how bright they are to light up everything.

Lightning
The Lubombo Mountains and Moriah Centre is just to the right of this picture


Where I live
Me in my room




My back garden

Only joking haha. I live in a school hostel so where the students board which is quite nice actually. We do live very close to a Nature Reserve though. This is the top the road which goes down to the Sisekelo High School. The main street acts as a T junction to this road and has a couple of supermarkets, a bank, a hospital, post office etc. Everything we need is a walk away which is very handy.
Top of our street
Sunsets are amazing here
 It is part of the Swazi culture that everyone is really friendly which makes this country so safe to live in. It is a Christian country so Sundays are usually quite quiet here. At the moment everything is transforming from the very dry and dusty land to lush green grass and trees. It is so beautiful here. Not sure what else to tell you  about Swaziland but if I think of anything don't worry I'll let you know.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment